Lost Pubs

Over recent years, the Nottingham Branch Area has lost a large number of its public houses in a retail and residential dash on the part of developers. This webpage seeks to inform the user of those which have been lost since the start of the year 2000 and what has happened to them. 

In order to make finding a lost pub easier, the information is sorted by local authority area.

We have done our best to identify all those pubs which have been lost, the year of closure and the reason why. If we have missed any, or you think we have got any of our information wrong, please let us know by e-mailing info@nottinghamcamra.org.

THIS WEBPAGE IS CURRENTLY BEING DEVELOPED AND IS BEING UPDATED A BIT AT A TIME. PLEASE BE PATIENT WHILST THIS  PROCESS IS ON-GOING. THANK YOU.


Ashfield's Lost Pubs (Hucknall)

The Nottingham Branch Area includes the four Hucknall Wards of Ashfield District Council. This page considers those Hucknall pubs lost since the start of the year 2000. 

Flying Bedstead

Watnall Road, Hucknall NG15 7NJ

The Flying Bedstead was "opened 8 June 1967 by Hardys and Hansons. The pub was built as a replacement for the Crown Inn on Byron Street.  It is named after a prototype take-off and landing aircraft, rather like a bedstead, which used jet engines developed by Rolls Royce and was a forerunner of the Harrier aircraft.  The pub had tiles advertising Kimberley Ales." [Elain Harwood / Historic England]. The Flying Bedstead was closed in 2013 and demolished in 2014 by Jomast Developments and Central England Cooperative to make way for a Central England Coop store. Ashfield DC Planning Ref: V/2014/0206.

[Ashfield District Council, Hucknall Central Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Hucknall South Division / Sherwood Parliamentary Constituency]
 

Harrier

Christchurch Road, Hucknall NG15 6SA

The former Westville Social Club, the Harrier closed in 2014 and was demolished by CJS Properties / Ms Sawford for a 10 property residential development in 2015. Ashfield DC Planning Ref: V/2014/0206.

[Ashfield District Council, Hucknall West Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Hucknall West Division / Sherwood Parliamentary Constituency] 
 

Malt Shovel

Annesley Road, Hucknall NG15 8AY

The Malt Shovel was converted in 2011 to a restaurant, Bella Mia. "Opened 4 August 1966. The pub had weatherboarding to the central gable but the façade is now wholly rendered. Completely altered inside. Staff refused pictures save from the street." [Elain Harwood / Historic England]. 

[Ashfield District Council, Hucknall North Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Hucknall North Division / Sherwood Parliamentary Constituency]
 

Masons Arms

Watnall Road, Hucknall NG15 6EY

The Masons Arms was closed in 2014 and demolished in 2015 for a Sainsburys supermarket. Punch Parnerships Limited had applied for permission to demolish the Masons Arms and erect a retail unit which was refused by Ashfield District Council (Ashfield DC Planning Ref: V/2014/0024). The applicant appealed to the Planning Inspectorate (APP/W3005/A/14/2218460) and won the appeal on the 18th August 2014. "Opened 16 December 1959, replacing an old inn of the same name on the High Street.  It was built as part of the Ruffs estate opposite the slightly earlier fire and ambulance station." [Elain Harwood / Historic England]. 

[Ashfield District Council, Hucknall West Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Hucknall West Division / Sherwood Parliamentary Constituency]

Pire

Morven Avenue, Hucknall NG15 7RE

The Pire formerly the Empire Social Club, was partly demolished and partly converted in 2015 into a 4 property residential development by a Mr Darrington. Ashfield DC Planning Ref: V/2014/0374.

[Ashfield District Council, Hucknall Central Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Hucknall South Division / Sherwood Parliamentary Constituency]

Romans

6a Annesley Road, Hucknall NG15 7AB

Romans was formerly the Lord Byron and before that the Stork Social Club. Originally a Methodist Meeting Room, it was built in 1828 and is currently a vacant property.

[Ashfield District Council, Hucknall North Ward / Nottinghamshire District Council, Hucknall North Division / Sherwood Parliamentary Constituency]

Royal Oak

160 Portland Road, Hucknall NG15 7RW

The Royal Oak closed in 2010 and was demolished 2016 by Anjuman-E-Ezzi (Nottingham) and a Mr Alibhai despite being on Ashfield District Council's Local Heritage List. At the time of writing apparently a vacant plot. Ashfield DC Planning Ref: X/2016/0030.

[Ashfield District Council, Hucknall Central Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Hucknall South Division / Sherwood Parliamentary Constituency]
 

Seven Stars

West Street, Hucknall NG15 7BY



[Ashfield District Council, Hucknall Central Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Hucknall South Division / Sherwood Parliamentary Constituency]
 

Will Scarlett

438 Watnall Road, Hucknall NG15 6FQ

The Will Scarlett closed in 2004 and was demolished in 2005 by Heyford Homes Limited for a 12 property residential development. Ashfield DC Planning Ref: V/2005/0636.

[Ashfield District Council, Hucknall West Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Hucknall West Division / Sherwood Parliamentary Constituency]

 


Broxtowe Borough Council

The Nottingham Branch Area covers much of the Borough of Broxtowe.

Cow

Middle Street, Beeston NG9 2AR

Closed 2004 and demolished for a Tesco store petrol station.

On the 7th of July 2004, Conditional Permission was granted by Broxtowe Borough Council [03/00223/OUT] for a "Proposed foodstore, petrol filling station, customer and staff car park, new vehicular access and highway improvements and associated development" to occupy the "Land Between Station Road, Middle Street, Acacia Walk & Union Street. No.28 High Road, The Cow Public House, Middle Street Beeston Nottingham". The application was made by Ing Real Estate Development, whose agents were Planning Perspectives, 25 Bruton Street, London W1J 6HQ.

On the 14th of October 2009, Broxtowe Borough Council [08/00833/FUL] gave Tesco Conditional Permission "for a foodstore/unit shops of 9,185 sq.m (gross external) with decked car park for 440 vehicles, with vehicular access from Station Road and Middle Street and associated highway improvements (revised scheme)." Tesco's agent was a Mr Peter Edwards of 25 Bruton Street, London W1J 6HQ.

[Broxtowe Borough Council; Beeston Central Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council; Beeston Central & Rylands Division / Broxtowe Parliamentary Constituency].

Double Top

69 Bramcote Lane, Chilwell NG9 5EL

Closed 2017 and demolished for a Co-op convenience store.

"BS/1004/66/2091: an application for licensed premises was made by the Home Brewery on 29 November 1966.  It was refused on 17 January 1967 as detrimental to nearby residential properties and likely to create traffic difficulties.  Home Breweries appealed to the Ministry of Housing and Local Government February 1967, and clearly won, but there are no plans with this application.  The public house opened in February 1969. The building feels like a very pared-down version of the Wheelhouse by Cecil Howitt and Partners, who are the most likely architects.  It adjoined a petrol filling station, recently demolished for flats, and there is a new tram stop close by (opened in late 2015) that is likely to bring further changes to the area.  When the building opened there was a mural of a dartboard on the concave façade by the entrance, and there was a dartboard on the pub sign on the original pub sign as well as the present one." [Elain Harwood / Historic England].

On the 2nd of June 2017, Conditional Permission was granted by Broxtowe Borough Council [17/00260/FUL] for the construction of a "convenience store (Class A1) with associated plant and parking, following demolition of public house" by the Co-operative Food Group Limited and their agent Ms. Katie Priest of Pegasus Planning Group Limited, Almondsbury, Bristol BS32 4QL.

[Broxtowe Borough Council, Chilwell West Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Toton, Chilwell & Attenborough Division / Broxtowe Parliamentary Constituency].
 

Dovecot

 

Durham Ox

Beeston

Golden Guinea

111 Maws Lane / Cornford Close, Kimberley NG16 2JE

Closed 2015 and converted to a Co-op convenience store.

"Hardys and Hansons, opened 19 April 1978.  This looked old-fashioned for 1978, being still a domestic looking public house of two storeys.  In April 2016 it was being converted to a store for the Co-operative Society." [Elain Harwood / Historic England].

On the 11th of September 2015, Conditional Permission was granted by Broxtowe Borough Council [15/00522/FUL] to "Construct extension and make alterations to form Class A1 convenience store to include shopfront, 2 no.satellite dishes, ATM, plant equipment area, reconfiguration of car park and lighting to access road and car park."  by Hawthorne Leisure and their agent Mr Rick Carter of PLC Architects, Lansdowne House, Portsmouth PO1 2QF.

[Broxtowe Borough Council, Kimberley Ward / Kimberley Town Council / Nottinghamshire County Council, Nuthall & Kimberley Division / Broxtowe Parliamentary Constituency].

 


Happy Man


Lark's Nest


 

Lord Raglan

216 Newthorpe Common, Eastwood NG16 2EN

The Lord Raglan was a Hardy's & Hanson's pub closed in 2008 by Greene King. "Part of the pub dated from the 1950s, but it is possible that this was a large extension to an earlier pub.  Demolished and replaced by housing.C/PS/B/18/6 This shows an old pub with a general room and smoke, room, with an outside urinal and toilets, attached to a cottage with a common roof and similar in scale.  Until 1940 this was just a beerhouse, but in 1940 it applied for a wine licence. Plans by Wheeler and Co. of Eastwood for Hansons Ltd, Kimberley Brewery, January 1940.C/PS/B/27/16 The pub applied for a full liquor licence in 1949." [Elain Harwood / Historic England].

[Broxtowe Borough Council, Eastwood Hill Top Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Eastwood Electoral Division / Ashfield Parliamentary Constituency]

Lord Nelson

Nottingham Road
 

Man in Space

Nottingham Road, Eastwood NG16 3GR

The Man in Space was a Hardy's & Hanson's pub. Closed by Greene King in 2011.

[Broxtowe Borough Council, Eastwood Hill Top Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council,  Eastwood Electoral Division / Ashfield Parliamentary Constituency]
 

Moon & Stars

12 Brookhill Leys Road, Eastwood NG16 3HX

An old three-storey ex Hardy & Hanson pub, built c.1760. It featured in "Sons and Lovers". Closed by Greene King in 2008, and demolished in 2010 for housing redevelopment.

New White Bull

Nottingham Road, Giltbrook, Eastwood

Other Side of the Moon

Sandown Road, Toton NG9 6JW

The Other Side of the Moon was a Hardy's & Hanson's pub closed in 2005 and demolished in 2006 for a residential development.

[Broxtowe Borough Council, Toton & Chilwell Meadows Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Toton, Chilwell & Attenborough Division / Broxtowe Parliamentary Constituency]

Prince of Wales


Beeston
 

Palmerston Arms

106, Greenhills Road, Eastwood  NG16 3FU

Closed 2013, converted to residential.

A Greene King disposal, the Palmerston Arms ceased trading on the 2nd January 2013.

[Broxtowe Borough Council, Eastwood Hall Ward / Eastwood Town Council / Nottinghamshire County Council, Eastwood Division / Ashfield Parliamentary Constituency]
 

Ram Inn

See Dovecote above.
 

Rose Grower

Sandringham Drive, Bramcote NG9 3EJ

The Rose Grower closed on Sunday 13th July 2008. a Hardy's & Hanson's pub which Greene King sold the building to Saveace Limited ?

[Broxtowe Borough Council, Bramcote Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Bramcote & Beeston North Division / Broxtowe Parliamentary Constituency]

Royal Oak

Villa Street, Beeston NG9 2NY

The Royal Oak has been converted to an Indian restaurant.

[Broxtowe Borough Council, Beeston West Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Beeston Central & Rylands Division / Broxtowe Parliamentary Consituency]

 

Three Horseshoes

Beeston

Closed 2008 and demolished for tram works.

Warren Arms

76 Derby Road, Stapleford NG9 7AB

Closed 2007 and demolished.

The planning history for the demise of the Warren Arms is a little convoluted. On the 8th of March 2007, a Mr A. Avison submitted a planning application to Broxtowe Borough Council [07/00197/FUL] for the construction of a "single storey extension and external alterations to public house (Class A4), part subdivision and extension of public house to form 2 no. retail units (A1) and refuse store." The agents were Manchini Curran Associates of Nottingham. This application was withdrawn on the 26th of June 2017. A second revised application [07/00791/FUL] was made on the 10th of September 2007 and Broxtowe Borough Council granted Conditional Permission on the 27th March 2008. This proposed development did not go ahead. Instead, on the 19th of December 2008, Mr Avison applied for permission to demolish the "derelict" Warren Arms [08/00939/FUL] on behalf of Mansfield Road Properties Limited of Harrow Road, West Bridgford. Broxtowe Borough Council granted Conditional Permission on the 13th of February 2009.

A former Ind Coope house.
 
[Broxtowe Borough Council, Stapleford Southwest Ward / Stapleford Town Council / Nottinghamshire County Council, Stapleford & Broxtowe Central Division / Broxtowe Parliamentary Constituency].
 


Gedling's Lost Pubs


Carlton Hotel

Valley Road, Carlton NG4 1LT

Cavendish Hotel

Cavendish Road, Carlton NG4 3QG

"Briefly known as the Blue Note prior to closure.also with a long drive off Westdale Lane.
It was demolished in late 2015.  The large site was at the top of a steep hill with magnificent views eastwards down the Trent valley.
PS/B/33/4, 1955 – premises to be erected. The final order is dated 13 February 1957, indicating that the pub was about to open.
Eberlin & Darbyshire, of No.3 College Street, Nottingham, prepared plans for Mitchells and Butlers, dated 24 December 1954.  They included a large car park to front and north side, with a public garden and shrubbery to the east (rear) either side of the ‘manager’s garden’.
The pub had an almost symmetrical façade and plan – save that the entrance serving the smoke room and assembly room on the right was slightly wider and grander than that to the public bar on the right, with glass bricks to the surrounds.  There was a broad central entrance serving just the off sales with a smaller entrance to the public bar on left.  ‘Cases’ were stored behind this with the service yard and, below, there was a real beer cellar.  The public garden was behind the assembly room, which had a bowed rear window and a terrace.  There was a small three-bedroom flat on top.  Despite its generous site, the building had something of the modesty of the March Hare in its elevations and detailing." [Elain Harwood / Historic England].

Cherry Tree

Collyer Road, Calverton NG14 6LY

"Designed in 1957 and opened in December 1959 by A. H. Eberlin, demolished.
PS/B/62/8: application 21 January 1957 by Samuel Smith’s for a licence to sell liquor for consumption on or off the premises, at the junction of Collyer Road and Mews Lane.  It was a large site right in the heart of Calverton – block plans label ‘Northage’s beer off’ as well as a miner’s club nearby.
The plans by C. A. K. of Eberlin and Darbyshire, dated 4 January 1957, show a broadly ‘L’-shaped building, rather than the usual Sam Smiths symmetrical plan, but with a ‘Z’-shaped serving area that winds from an off sales at the front next to the smoke room, past a public bar to the left and slightly set back, to an assembly hall to the right set behind a large entrance hall containing two banks of lavatories.  The case store and spirits store are behind the smoke room in the central section over a cask cellar in a small basement.  There is a four-bedroom flat over the public bar, smoke room and service area.  There is no elevation with this set of plans." [Elain Harwood / Historic England].

Bestwood Hotel

Park Road, Bestwood NG6 8TQ

Earl of Chesterfield

37 Carlton Hill, Carlton NG4 1BG

Formerly a Home Ales pub.

Grey Goose

73 Arnold Lane, Gedling NG4 4HA

"PS/B/33/8 opened December 1956, Samuel Smiths.  Demolished, and a care home is now on the site.  Neo-Georgian.  Samuel Smiths had a policy of naming new pubs after birds and animals; this one was next to Gedling cemetery.  More plans at PS/B/66/20
PS/B/33/8: an application was made on 8 February 1955 by William Bentley Wood for Samuel Smith’s of Tadcaster for a provisional licence for sale of liquor on or off the premises.  A final order was made on 23 November 1956, for premises to be known as the Grey Goose.
The plans are symmetrical and classical in Samuel Smith’s manner, but they are by Eberlin & Darbyshire of College Street, drawn by ‘L. D.’  They are undated but were approved on 8 February 1955.  The show a brick front and big green tiled, steeply pitched roofs, with substantial stacks to either side.  The plan is typical Sam Smiths, with the central off sales in a projecting porch, with entrances either side to the smoke room and public bar placed symmetrically either side of the server, a bank of lavatories across the widest part of the plan, stepping out to give extra doors to the two bars, and a rear assembly room entered from behind the smoke room and with doors on to a paved terrace.  There was a large basement under the service area and smoke room.
PS/B/66/20.   A new application was made on 7 March 1961; no new plans." [Elain Harwood / Historic England].
 

Grove Hotel

35 Mansfield Road, Daybrook NG5 6AJ

Jackie Bells

114 Victoria Road, Netherfield NG4 3NA

Jackie Bells was a former Home Ales pub originally known as the Railway Hotel.

Maid Marian

Coppice Road, Arnold NG5 7GS

Nell Gwynn

Oxclose Lane / Gladehill Road, Arnold NG5 6FB

"Opened 16 December 1961 by Home Brewery, with big central gable and smaller gable to rear.  Demolished and replaced by an apartment block, Florime Court.  Similar in style to the Maid Marian and Friar Tuck pubs (Wright and Curtis, p.4). PS/B/64/9: plans of January 1958 by Cecil Howitt and Partners show a building set at an angle to the corner site. Plans approved 10 March 1959.  An ‘L’-shaped plan made into a ‘U’ by the addition of an assembly hall to the right, with its own lavatories, a dais at the road end, and a food service area at the end of the service area at the back of the assembly room.  The living room, WC and scullery for the landlord’s flat is on the ground floor.  Off sales is at the rear, behind the public bar.  Basement beer cellar, first floor sitting room and bedrooms." [Elain Harwood / Historic England].

Oxclose Hotel

Oxclose Lane, Arnold NG5 6FX

Station Hotel

Station Road, Newstead NG15 0BZ

Toby Jug

330 - 332 Carlton Hill, Carlton NG4 1JD

Westdale Tavern

70 Westdale Lane East, Gedling NG4 3NA

The Westdale Tavern closed in 2017.

White Hart


Mansfield Road, Daybrook NG
 

Windsor Castle


34 Carlton Hill, Carlton NG4 1EB

Formerly a Hardy's & Hanson's Kimberley Ales pub.


Newark & Sherwood's Lost Pubs



 


Nottingham's Lost Pubs

17th / 21st Lancers

Sherwin Road, Lenton

"It was built in 1972-3 on the site of the Albion public house, demolished in 1972.  It opened on 9 February 1973 for Hanson’s of Kimberley Ltd.
Plans CA/PL 186/3/71. These show elevations by John M. Farrand for Eberlin & Partners, October 1971, with a section.  Farrand is an associate (in November 1971), with Eric Toft, FRIBA, Roy Warren FRIBA, and Howard Walters MSAAT (Farrand is also MSAAT).  The partners are Richard Eberlin, Dennis Rosillo (both FRIBA) and Gordon Smith (a QS). Elevations of Himley mixed russet handmade facings, all stretcher bond with recessed joints with Douglas fir plywood panels between the stacks of windows, and a fascia of blue brick ‘plinth’ stretcher bricks laid in alterative courses on bed and inverted to form ‘V’ groove effect; curved bricks at the corners, lettering for the signage to be determined.  These elevations show the pub called the ‘17th/21st Lancer’.  For the block plans of February 1971 it is still called the ‘White Lancer’. There is a comment on the application by ‘AAH’ for the City Planner, 2 March 1971: ‘It looks a much more promising scheme by far than the normal Nottingham pub’. It replaced an existing pub on part of the site, the remainder was wasteland formerly occupied by dwellings.  Car park at rear and planners ask for a landscape scheme for the site. C/PS/58/15/1-3 an application for the ‘White Lancer’, plans dated February 1971 drawn by JMF of Eberlin and Partners, with alterations of 19 February 1971 and 25 May 1971.  It replaced the Albion Inn, 6 Sherwin Road.  The pub stood on a steeply sloping site, with entrances on two levels either side of the glazed link to a projecting stair tower that connected what were termed the upper and lower ground floors.  The lower ground floor had a public bar with a large darts area and male lavatory, with staff lavatories and the beer cellar to the rear.  The upper ground floor had the case and bottle store over the latter next to the rear goods entrance, and a boiler house in the yard behind; there is a car-port at the very rear.  In front were three small lounges, one with a snack preparation area, all served by a continuous service area, with a small female lavatory, and small stores for wines and spirits and tobacco next to the private entrance.  There was still an off sales area between this and the main entrance.  There was a three-bedroom flat with a separate living room and kitchen at the front of the first floor – but nothing in the upper part of the drum and there was only a large flat roof area behind.  To the rear was a large garden area, with a car park to Willoughby Street for forty cars.  There were no elevations with this set of plans." [Elain Harwood / Historic England].
 
 

Admiral Duncan



Albany Hotel


Alma Inn


Apollo Hotel

Hucknall Lane, Bulwell NG6 8AJ

"PS/B/35/32/1-10: Plans by Cecil Howitt and Partners are dated January 1953 for the Home Brewery Co.  The Apollo opened in January 1956.
It was designed to a ‘U’-shaped plan that had a public bar to the front, with an assembly room to the left with its own separate entrance while a door to the right led to a lounge hall and lounge.  Each room had its own bar, for inside the ‘U’ were four linked service areas, with a case store at ground level and a trapdoor to a large basement cellar behind – the basement had three cellars and the boiler house; stairs within the service area led up to a four-bed flat.  A large rear garden led down to the River Leen with to one side an open shelter to which lavatories were attached (which could be used by children), while in a border in front of the pub were ‘flowers and shrubs’." [Elain Harwood / Historic England].

Arboretum


Barley Mow


Beacon



Belle Vue Hotel


Belvoir Tap


Blenheim


Boulevard Hotel


Britannia Inn


Byrons


Cattle Market Tavern


Charles II



Chase



Clarence Hotel





























Clifton Bridge Inn

Brockthorpe Way, Wilford NG11 7FB

The Clifton Bridge Inn closed in 2010. "Opened 16 March 1962 by Home Brewery, demolished.
A grainy photograph in the local studies library shows a domestic-style two-storey building with its gable end facing the road, entered from a low, flat-roofed single-storey range to one side.
The Evening News for 16 March 1962 (L64.3, Nottinghamshire Local Studies Library cuttings box) explained that the licence was transferred from the Rising Sun in Hornbuckle Street, Radford, which was being demolished for flats.  The new location close to Clifton Bridge was described as ‘handy for the motorway’. There were two large entrance halls, a lounge hall with an adjoining buffet bar and a public bar divided from a large clubroom by a folding screen.  There was a central servery.  A separate off-sales department and garden bar were set at the rear of the premises, and the ‘very attractive gardens’ and a telephone booth were specially noted.  
The Guardian Journal for 17 March 1962 explained that this was the 36th new house opened by Home Brewery since the war and the eighth in the city of Nottingham.  It described the interior as ‘finished in many types of natural wood with restful, modern colour schemes to give an air of freshness and comfort’, with two ‘magnificent’ bay windows at the front of the building.  The exterior was of handmade brick.  A separate article in the same issue explained that the buffet bar was designed for serving light meals and coffee, and notes that the sale of food was increasing in pubs.  The menu of the Clifton Bridge Inn comprised ‘hot soup, light snacks like salads, hot sausage rolls and Cornish pasties, and pork pies.  Grills may be provided later.’
PS/B/37/23/ 1-2, plans by Reginald Cooper for the Home Brewery, February 1960.  A central two-storey house with a pitched roof has the living accommodation over the service, which is itself wrapped round the case store and wine store, with only a small lounge hall and a buffet bar to the front.  The main bars are large single storey ranges to either side, each with their respective lavatories by the doors.  The public bar was ‘L’-shaped and incorporates a club room." [Elain Harwood / Historic England].

[Nottingham City Council, Clifton North Ward / Nottingham South Parliamentary Constituency]

Clinton Arms




Coopers Inn

 

Cremorne Hotel
 
Queen's Walk, Meadows, NG2 2DF

DEMOLISHED for Residential Redevelopment in 2005 as per Planning Application 05/00330/PFUL3 approved 24th May 2005.

 






Cricket Players




Cricketers Arms



Crown Inn


Dame Agnes Mellers

Dog & Topper (see 17th/21st Lancer)




Balloon Hotel


Trowell Road, Wollaton

"Opened 11 October 1951 by Nottingham Brewery (Tennants) when only partly built.  It was opposite Birchwood Road, slightly set back from the main Trowell Road, with Trowell Avenue running round the rear of the site. PS/B/36/2 (1-9).  This contains three sets of plans.  The first scheme dates from January 1938 by W. B. Starr and Hall for the Nottingham Brewery in their typical 1930s’ Art Deco style with a public bar at the front and a lounge at the back, an ‘outdoor department’ to the side and a large service area in the middle.  The large self-contained flat on the first floor is ‘U’-shaped.
A new block plan dates from January 1946, showing the outline of the new scheme.  The architects, now W. B. Starr, Hall and Clifford, produced detailed revised plans to this new scheme dated January 1950.  These show a tall central staircase tower with a long window lighting the stairs.  On the left is the public bar, at right angles and with lavatories beyond, and on the right is the rather smaller lounge, also with lavatories at its further end.  Each bar has its own double doors, for there is no way between the two for the general public, although the central service area behind the staircase tower connects the two bars.  There is no area for off sales.  A third set of plans also dated January 1950 show that the lounge was intended to become a lounge hall to a larger lounge behind, with a curved corner bar, once a license was available for the pub’s extension.  
The Balloon was extensively reviewed in the local press.  ‘That it has actually been built on more modern-looking lines is due to shortages and building regulations.’  The present lounge will be turned into a lounge-hall entrance when the rest of the lounge is built.  It is a frame structure clad in ‘handmade fine biscuit facings with dressed Bulwell stone in random courses to the terrace walls’.  There is a basement, and the self-contained first-floor flat is specifically noted.  The ground floor has two public rooms, described in detail: ‘the lounge is lined in bird’s eye maple veneer, and the public bar in oak veneer to the lower portion, with tinted white sycamore above frieze height with inlaid bandings.  The furnishings in the lounge are of maple, upholstered in uncut moquette with curtains to tone, and a floor of inlaid Korlkoid. The public room has fixed seating upholstered in hide.  The central service is provided with suitable counters and backfittings, which have mirrored tops, glass shelves illuminated by strip lighting.  The beer engines fitted are of both the pull and electric types with guns, and adequate wash-up and drainer sinks of stainless steel are provided, together with patent glass washing machines.’  (Nottingham Journal 11 October 1951, from cuttings box, Nottingham Local Studies Library)  Construction began in August 1950 but was delayed by the poor subsoil.  The pub was named after the nearby Old Balloon Houses on the junction of Trowell Road and Bilborough and Coventry lanes in Wollaton, which had been demolished in 1925 (Nottingham Topic, August 1967).  
The name was later given to Nottingham’s most notorious housing estate, Balloon Wood, which was built between Coventry Lane and Wollaton Vale in the late 1960s.  This may explain why the pub changed its name to the Wollaton Arms in 1985, by which time it was under the management of Ind Coope.  It has been demolished and housing built on the site." [Elain Harwood / Historic England].

Beacon


Beacon Hill Rise (formerly Blue Bell Hill Road), St Ann’s

"On the corner of Moffat Close.  It was built for Home Breweries, opened 19 June 1974, and closed in 2013.  In late 2013 there were proposals to turn the pub into a community centre, led by the Howie Smith Trust, but it seems to have been converted to flats – in November 2015 the building was empty, with no signs on it. PS/B/36/11: There survives only the site plan, dated November 1973 by Reginald Cooper, Tate, Marsden and Partners, and approved on 14 December 1973.  It is a very domestic design, like most of the pubs by Marsden." [Elain Harwood / Historic England].

 

Grey Mare

Farnborough Road, Clifton NG11 9GR

The Grey Mare was "on the corner with Chepstow Road and Widecombe Lane.  It was opened by Shipstone’s in March 1961 and named after one of the firm’s dray horses.  It was demolished in 2014 and the site redeveloped as a care home by Rayner Davies Architects, opened in 2015.
PS/B/41/29 (1-2). Plans by W. B. Starr, Hall and Clifford for Shipstone’s, dated May 1959.  It had a ‘U’-Shaped service area with a central lounge facing Farnborough Road, with the off sales next to it on the left; on the left side return was the public bar, while on the right return was the smoke room.  There were corner entrances to public and to the lounge and smoke room, each with lavatories to either side." [Elain Harwood / Historic England].

[Nottingham City Council, Clifton South Ward / Nottingham South Parliamentary Constituency]

Man of Trent

Clifton Lane, Clifton NG11 8NA

The BBC's Domesday Reloaded from 1986 says: "Tenants: Mr & Mrs Alls. The Man of Trent or Manor as it is known locally was opened on Oct 29th 1957. It is a large public house owned by Shipstones Brewery, Nottingham, situated on the A.453 main road into Nottingham, and out to Gotham and the M1 Motorway The domestic accomodation comprises five bedrooms, bathroom,toilet, kitchen and lounge with a door access to a flat roof. Downstairs in the public area,there are three rooms, a public bar which is split level, a lounge and a smoke room.In the bar there are two pool tables, a juke-box and two fruit machines.Outside there is a large paved area with wooden tables for fine weather drinkers, a grassed area and two large car parks."

[Nottingham City Council, Clifton South Ward / Nottingham South Paarliamentary Constituency]
 

Winning Post

 



Rushcliffe's Lost Pubs

Black Diamond

Owthorpe Road, Cotgrave NG12 3PA

The Black Diamond, presumably named for the coal hewn from the local colliery, was demolished in 2007 for a residential development. 

[Rushcliffe Borough Council, Cotgrave Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Cotgrave Division / Rushcliffe Parliamentary Constituency]

 

 

Manor

Albert Road, West Bridgford NG2 5GS

The Manor was demolished in 2004 for a Marks & Spencer store.

[Rushcliffe Borough Council, Trent Bridge Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, West Bridgford North Division / Rushcliffe Parliamentary Constituency]

Monkey Tree

70 Bridgford Road, West Bridgford NG2 6AP

The Monkey Tree closed in 2016.

[Rushcliffe Borough Council, Trent Bridge Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, West Bridgford North Division / Rushcliffe Parliamentary Constituency]

Plough

Park Lane, Sutton Bonington LE12 5NH
 
The Plough closed in 2004.

[Rushcliffe Borough Council, Sutton Bonington Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Leake & Ruddington Division / Rushcliffe Parliamentary Constituency]

Red Lion

Old Main Road, Costock LE12 6XF

[Rushcliffe Borough Council, Bunny Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Keyworth Division / Rushcliffe Parliamentary Constituency]

South Notts Hussars

Greythorn Drive, West Bridgford NG2 7GG

The South Notts Hussars closed in 2004 for a residential development. Named in memory of the men of the local territorial army unit, which fought in a number of formations during the Second Boer War, the First and Second World Wars. In April 1942, the 107th (South Nottinghamshire Hussars Yeomanry) Field Regiment of the Royal Artillery was wiped out at the Battle of Knightsbridge, fighting a brave defensive rear-guard action to the last round to cover the retreat of the British Army during the Gazala campaign. A Shipstones pub, one of the features on the front elevation was a couple of circular windows representing the wheels of a gun carriage. Demolition sought by Marchini Curran Associates on behalf of Poplar Place Estates; Rushcliffe Borough Council Planning Ref: 05/01565/DEMOL dated Thursday 15th December 2005.

[Rushcliffe Borough Council, Lutterell Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, West Bridgford West Division / Rushcliffe Parliamentary Constituency]

Three Horseshoes

79 Main Street, Willoughby on the Wolds LE12 6SY

The Three Horseshoes closed in 2004. Formerly a Shipstones pub.

[Rushcliffe Borough Council, Keyworth & Wolds Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Keyworth Division / Rushcliffe Parliamentary Constituency]

Windmill

Nottingham Road, Gotham NG11 0JF

Built in 1929 as a replacement for an earlier pub of the same name, the Windmill closed on the 21st June 2007 and was demolished in November of 2007 to make way for 13 houses. (Gotham and District Local History Society). The Windmill was a Bass Worthingon pub.

[Rushcliffe Borough Council, Gotham Ward / Nottinghamshire County Council, Leake & Ruddington Division / Rushcliffe Parliamentary Constituency]

Return to top of the page


The Saracens Head

 This pub is one of the old beer houses built in the 19th century. Sadly closed in 20XX, this building remains as a residential / office property.

The Frog & Fruitbat

http:/frog&fruitbat.co.uk

This page is in the process of being built.

Item 1

Item 2

Item 3

Item 4

Sitemap

© 2012 Nottingham CAMRA

info@nottinghamcamra.org

Website design by Seahawk Studio